Saturday, November 1, 2014

Crowdsourcing: My Thank You to All of You

Last week, I posted here about how frustrated I have been while trying to encourage and inspire connected learning in my team of teachers.

I didn't know it at the time, but in that post, I crowdsourced advice.  

Crowdsourcing is something I have been intrigued by for some time now.  Without realizing it, I had tapped into the collective wisdom of an amazing group of people.


When I read the comments and advice on my blog, I was blown away.  First, I was blown away that people took the time to comment, and second, I was blown away by the diversity of ideas offered, and the incredible helpfulness of said ideas.

What I had thought was a simple dumping out of my heart became something more.













Terry Elliott also offered me John Prine: 
Ain't it great at the end of the day
When there ain't no sound around
Just me and the fence post
Staring each other down

And Terry gave me word origins for "ruin," including: 671 Milton P.R. iv. 363 In them is plainest taught‥What ruins Kingdoms, and lays Cities flat. 

And Terry gave me quotes

And Terry connected connected connected me to ideas as only Terry does: unmoored, unbalanced, neutral nowheres, reaching forth....

Mostly, this is a thank you.  To all of you who read, and who offered ideas, and connected.  I can't really describe fully how I felt when I read your comments, but suffice it to say that my heart was full.  On a day when I had felt alone, I suddenly felt a part of something bigger.

Here is a more artful version of my thanks to all of you: Thank You Note

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for enabling us to witness the importance of our connections.
    If ever we needed a why, this is a why...
    Why is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan -- and thanks to all the wonderful educators who you've quoted above. I second Simon's words... this certainly is a "why"! I missed your original post, but thank you for sharing this wonderful summary of the beauty that happens when we "do" connected learning. It's sometimes overwhelming to realise that this power and beauty is always there, right there. We need only ask, and be open.

    I've been participating in #ccourses in small bursts, as and when I can. But even at this level, it has been a wonderful experience... reminding me again and again why I am an open educator. Within traditional institutions this can be a lonely road, as you've described, but these connections -- and the joy of seeing students discover and build their own connections -- are my Why :)

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are children who are no longer confined to the house, our parents have decided that the world is not so very dangerous, and in our vulnerability we touch foot to bike pedal, we touch sneaker to pavement, we touch finger to rock and turn it over, knowing that we know not what and finding joy in that every single and signal time. Our mothers and fathers say, "Get ye outside and I don't want to see you till supper." This is what we do. Vulnerable and free. Those two words should never be separated. Vulnerable and free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this and I loved your post today, Terry. We've thrown off the parents and are running around in our pajamas.

      Delete
  4. And doesn't the zeega just give us a depth of field and palette that is satisfying in ways both unexpected and thrilling? I think so. You show that to be truetruetrue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for connecting back Susan! I'm running round in my pyjamas till way past supper time. Sandra

    ReplyDelete